Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Macarons

A few days ago, I had a pumpkin macaron from a little French place, and it was delicious. I wasn’t sure how frozen macarons would add up, but I think the TJ’s macarons are great. Considering that it is easier to go to Trader Joe’s than to find a bakery with good macarons, I think these cookies are worth a try.

TJ-pumpkin-macarons-box

Just let the cookies defrost under a paper towel for about 30 minutes before devouring the fluffy little clouds of goodness.

The texture of the cookie is not what I expect from a macaron because it’s missing the chewy meringue texture. The cookie has an egg-shell crust, but the interior is soft and smooth, not slightly chewy. The filling tastes exactly like pumpkin and spice – delicious pumpkin pie. I would say that the pumpkin flavor is stronger than the spice flavor, which I LOVE.

TJ-pumpkin-macarons

The flavor more than makes up for the lack of perfect texture. Trader Joe’s pumpkin macarons get 5/5 from me, but if meringue texture is what you want, find a bakery.

2 comments:

  1. I rated them 9/10. I thought the filling was excellent but I found the outer shell a little to delicate and easy to squish. Probably my big man hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review, however; are you familiar with the difference between a macaron and a macaroon? Parisian maraons are not supposed to be chewy at all - they are supposed to be exactly as you described; egg shell crust with a smooth, creamy cloud center!

    These are the best thing I've had aside from the fresh baked ones in Paris and our local French bakery - incidentally, they will tell you to freeze them to maintain the quality because they go stale quickly.

    ReplyDelete