Friday, September 21, 2012

Pumpkin Chowder

SAY IT, FRENCHIE!

I’m not through demeaning you!

One of my super awesome cousins got me this pumpkin sheow-derr packet during her trip to Boston. It was my first experience with dehydrated pumpkin powder.

pumpkinchowder-01
New England Pumpkin Chowder from Bountiful Pantry

pumpkinchowder-02
I really appreciate the lack of salt

 

The final product with some finely chopped onion, shredded chicken, salt, pepper, and toasted chopped almonds. It was really good! Not home-made good, but really good for pre-packaged food. It had a hearty texture and smelled like a wonderful combination of cinnamon, spices, and pumpkin.

pumpkinchowder-03

The dehydrated carrot was better on the second day. I don’t think it had fully re-hydrated, even after 30 minutes of simmering. If I could do it again, I think a little diced celery would be nice; maybe celery would have offset the sweet dried carrot taste a little bit.

The best element to this soup was the texture. Because it isn’t made from fresh or canned pumpkin it is smooth with none of the usual pumpkin graininess. I give it a 4.5/5

I just spent an exorbitant amount on dried pumpkin powder ($2/ounce. what the eff!?), so I’m excited to try it in baked goods that won’t benefit from the heaviness of canned pumpkin. I have always wanted pumpkin cookies that don’t have a cake texture. I’ve also read about people using it in coffee, which I am suspicious of.

No comments:

Post a Comment