Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Oh, kale no*

Sometime last year I ate an entire bag of “cheesy kale crunch” – dried kale with flavoring. The kale part was crispy and delicious, but the vegan "cheese crunch” was disappointing. Not surprisingly, it didn’t taste like cheese, and it was loaded with salt. To quote Homer, the cheesy kale crunch was not undelicious, I just hated the salty fake flavoring.  I ate the whole bag, drank a gallon of water, and swore to never eat kale chips again.

…which means, of course, that I would soon eat kale chips again. I saw this kale post, and set off to make my own, non-cheez kale chips.

kale-03
Someday I’ll stop taking pictures with my phone.

The light texture makes kale chips fun to eat. I couldn’t get enough. My Mister was suspicious of dried kale as a snack food, but after he tasted them I had to share. Next time I’ll make two bunches (or I won’t share).

It’s so easy:

Ingredients
1 bunch kale
Oil
Seasoning
Parchment paper

Method
Pre-heat oven to 250

Wash and thoroughly dry the kale
Cut the thick center stalk out of each leaf (or it’s stringy and gross)
Cut each leaf into cracker-sized pieces

In a bowl, mix kale and a small amount of oil (I used olive).
(Lots of recipes say to brush each leaf with a pastry brush dipped in oil. I used my hands)
Make sure each side of each leaf is coated in oil

Spread kale on parchment-lined cookie sheet
Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder (or whatever you like)
Bake for about 35 minutes


kale-02

It’s a bit like eating seaweed, only I think kale tastes better.

There’s a malanga in the fridge, patiently waiting to be turned into chips. Every time I open the refrigerator door, I try to remember when I bought a tiny ham.

*Alternate title: Oh, here go kale come

No comments:

Post a Comment