Thursday, December 23, 2010

Pumpkin Corn Bread

I haven't been cooking much lately, but with pumpkin dinner coming up hot, I'd better hop to it. Here's the last pumpkin thing I made - Pumpkin Corn Bread. I thought they were delicious, but maybe a little too dense. This is my starter recipe, so hopefully I'll be improving on them soon.

Pumpkin Corn Bread
Adapted from All Recipes
Makes 16 corn muffins; takes about 45 minutes

Ingredients
1 cup unbleached flour
3/4 cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 can pumpkin puree
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
4 oz melted butter (this complicated things. I'd probably just use 1/4 cup vegetable oil next time)
1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
4 Tbs dried, chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp dried sage
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Method
-In separate bowls, combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients.
-Slowly combine the wet ingredients into the dry bowl, do not overmix
-Divide batter evenly into baking cups or a greased muffin tin
-Bake in a pre-heated oven at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.

I used a pumpkin-shaped mini cake tin to make these, and they weren't as cute as I'd hoped (notice there's no picture). Like I said above, they were dry, but I think I should have used oil and not butter (why did I do that?) and added a little extra moisture - perhaps by reducing the flour, or adding another liquid. But I thought the flavor was perfect - herby, oniony, pumpkiny, and peppery with a touch of sweetness.

I'll be making them again and I'll report back.

No comments:

Post a Comment