Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pumpk-introduction*

I’ve been obsessed with pumpkins for a long time, so I decided to finally create a place for all my pumpkin love. I love pumpkins, carving pumpkins, pumpkin foods, and pumpkin drinks so much, that you might even call me a pumpkin tart.

The first pumpkin-themed dinner I made was in 2003. It was a relatively simple meal:
-Savory pumpkin and tart apple soup
-Filet mignon with pumpkin and sweet potato puree
-Pumpkin crème brulee

It was my first time really cooking with pumpkin, besides some soups that were made by faithfully following recipes. My husband said it was delicious, but it wasn’t very good. The soup was watery, the pumpkin puree was mushy, and the crème brulee had little pumpkin flavor. The only thing I did well was the filet – also the most expensive item on the menu, so at least I got that right.


From Flickr user Teo

I’ve grown since then. My last pumpkin dinner had something like 8 courses and three rave reviews (thanks, friends!). Nowadays, my annual pumpkin dinner requires about 2 months of test cooking, and a solid week of prep before the big night. I’m starting late this year, but when I finally get to it, I hope to share my annual pumpkin dinner with you. I’m still learning new techniques and my taste in foods and flavors is always changing. I get bored by following recipes, and I almost never measure (unless I’m baking, of course).

In the meantime, I’ll be trying all the tasty pumpkin treats at local restaurants and stores, and occasionally writing about my obsession with weird Halloween activities and horror-themed plays.

1 comment:

  1. Your pumpkin dinners are the stuff of legend.

    I saw this post about pumpkin hot chocolate on Creepy Cupcakes and thought of you!!!
    http://creepycupcakes.blogspot.com/2010/10/ready-for-halloween-day-6-pumpkin-hot.html

    xo SLG

    ReplyDelete