Monday, December 7, 2009

Christmas Crumpet (the elf)

A few weeks ago I blogged about some Christmas activities around Southern California. I'm pleased to report that both were a lot of fun!

First up: Santa Claus Conquers the Martians at the Maverick Theater in Fullerton. This was a lot different than Night of the Living Dead since they took a "serious" movie and turned it into a slapstick, screwball comedy, but it was really silly and enjoyable. Victor Stiles, the man who played Billy in the original movie, was there to talk about his experience making the movie back in 1964. He said that he likes the play at the Maverick a lot better than the film. For me, half the fun was looking at the set, props, and costumes and trying to figure out how it was made. Complex machines were made from Christmas decorations and 5 gallon buckets, and the robot was made from silver insulating fabric and washing machine hoses. After the play, I even got my picture taken with Santa and all his new Martian friends. (ooh, spoiler alert! Sorry about that.)


Next: David Sedaris' SantaLand Diaries at the Blank Theater in West Hollywood.


This was my first time at the Blank Theater, and I was pleasantly surprised. It was a very intimate setting, but it didn't feel cramped. We got there early, so we got to sit in the front row, and at one point I was treated to David/Crumpet the Elf/Blisters the Elf screaming just a foot away my face - it was terrifying! Nicholas Brendon did a good job of channeling that deadpan David Sedaris charm, and he really worked on that stage. Wearing a ridiculous costume of candy cane-striped pantyhose, green velvet shorts and jacket, and a velvet hat, he showed us all the terrible and undignified things that happen when working as an elf in a busy department store. I was burned by a horrible one-man show in the past (though I won't mention which one), so I was really apprehensive about this show, but Brendon is definitely worth seeing.

SantaLand Diaries is a good show for people who like sarcastic, dry humor, and Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is good for kids, and people who like over-the-top silliness. Either way, I think you'll have a good time. Get your tickets for either one and let me know what you think!

1 comment: