Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Halloween season begins

Starting with bad news: The manager of a grocery store told me that he heard there would be a shortage of Monster Cereals this year. I hope he's wrong - fingers crossed!

Good news: Disneyland's Halloween Time started last week. I visited the Haunted Mansion and I LOVE the gingerbread house this year. The gingerbread house actually opens and closes his mouth like a hungry monster - he even has a colorful tongue inside.

Pumpkin Donald welcomes you into the park


The French Market restaurant (across the plaza from the Haunted Mansion) has a special seasonal entree right now - a muffaletta sandwich served in a Jack Skellington coffin! It was tasty and it comes with a side of chips. I like this better than the trinket/ornament giveaways that require 13 visits to the park to collect the set. I'd rather just have a coffin lunchbox! We skipped dessert, though they looked very nice this year.


The coffin has a twisted vine handle, and a little surprise built into the bottom. You have to take the sandwich and paper out to see it.
No, I won't tell you what it is!

Target had some good Halloween stuff out - I got a silver skull candle that claims it will bleed red wax out the eye sockets. Exciting!

As far as home entertainment, I've already scared the crap out of myself with The Exorcist 3 and Fire in the Sky. I downloaded the entire works of Edgar Allen Poe to my e-reader. Yes, I have it in book form, but it's so heavy and cumbersome to read from. E-readers FTW.

Next up: Haunts at Universal Studios and Knott's both open soon. There's a new haunt this year in Newport Harbor - Ghost Ship. My favorite theater The Maverick is adding Frankenstein Has No Legs to its weird repertoire (puppets and Frankenstein? GET OUT OF MY DREAMS AND INTO MY CAR). Stages OC is touting DRAGULA - drag queens and Dracula (yes, please). And the beautiful El Capitan theater is showing the Nightmare Before Christmas in 4D meaning they'll have weather effects to go along with the plot of the movie. I think of NBC as a Christmas movie and not a Halloween movie, but I hope I'll find time to go see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment