Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Pumpkin Popsicles

This is an idea I've been working on for quite a while - there have been a few other styles of pumpkin popsicles, and they were just awful. First, I thought it would be good to have a popsicle with a coconut milk base. That was a horrendous idea. I tried a few other flavors (note: condensed milk does not freeze), but I finally settled on an apple cider base. I've never been a fan of hot apple cider, but I love cold apple cider. I think these work, and I like the soft, applesauce-like texture that the pumpkin adds.


Overly dramatic picture of a popsicle. It makes me laugh.

Pumpkin Popsicles

Ingredients
1/2 c pumpkin puree
2 c apple cider (I used Bolthouse Farms Gala Apple Cider)
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon molasses
3/4 teaspoon Saigon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
scant 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
pinch of ground cloves

Method
Whisk it all together, pour into molds, and freeze until solid.

As I said before, the pumpkin makes the apple juice have a softer, applesauce-like texture. The popsicles aren't overtly pumpkiny, but they definitely taste like frozen autumn. I'll probably make them again, and re-vamp the recipe a little, but this is a good start, and a far cry from the coconut milk popsicles that I made a few weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment